- About Us
- Visas and migration
- Travelling to Australia
- Services for Australians
- Doing business with Australia
- Study in Australia
- About Australia
- Exhibitions and Events
- Residence Art Collection
- Australia-United States of America relationship
- Travel advice
- Register with us
Defence Visits Officer
Location: Embassy of Australia, Washington DC
Position Number: PN10144
Agency/Branch/Work Unit: Defence – HADS
Salary Range: $42,374 (USD)
Security Assessment: Required*
* This position is a designated security assessed position. Applicants must be Australian, or dual nationality Australian/British, Australian/Canadian, Australian/New Zealand or Australian/US citizens to be eligible for engagement. Employment in the advertised position is dependent on the employee having or acquiring a valid Australian national security clearance. Security clearances can take several months to process, and employment cannot be commenced until an appropriate clearance is confirmed. There is no guarantee that the successful candidate for the position will be successful in obtaining a clearance. The inability to obtain a clearance prevents that applicant from being employed and loss of a security clearance at any time will lead to termination of employment.
Contract: This is a 2-year contract, the extension of which will be assessed by the Embassy on the basis of need and performance.
Contact Officer: Questions relating to the position can be directed to Andrea Nicandri at email@example.com
Recruitment Officer: General enquiries relating to Embassy Employment can be directed to Paul P. Vella at firstname.lastname@example.org Information about Locally-Engaged positions and Embassy recruitment procedures can be located on our website: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/Employment.html
The closing date for receipt of applications for this position is Opening of Business on Monday, 05 August 2013. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. If you have not been requested to attend an interview within two weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful on this occasion.
How to Apply
For details on how to apply, please see our website: www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/HowToApply.html
Please note taxation is a personal responsibility for all Locally Engaged Staff and individuals should confirm their taxation obligations before considering an offer of employment with the Embassy.
The position is located in the Headquarters Section of the Australian Defence Staff (Washington) of the Department of Defence and reports to the Visits and Protocol Manager. Some after-hours work may be required.
In accordance with Workplace Diversity, Occupational Health and Safety and Industrial Democracy principles and practices:
1. Process all one time, recurring and extended visit authorization requests, and maintain an electronic filing system of all requests. 60%
2. As required, assist the Manager, Visits and Protocol, during peak visit periods, and act as a backup during absences. Duties would include assisting with VIP visit program planning, information collection (meeting locations, drive times, biographies) and airport assistance, as well as possible driving duties, as required. 15%
3. Provide advice to all Defence Agencies and other facilities regarding procedures and critical information required for processing visit requests to Defence facilities in North America. 10%
4. Liaise with various Defence and other Government agencies and Contractor facilities in Australia, the United States and Canada regarding the status of visit requests. 5%
5. Administer the Foreign Visits System (FVS) including the daily electronic transmission of visit requests and the update of visit status reports. 5%
6. Perform various clerical, administrative and data entry duties including typing, filing, photocopying, facsimileing, scanning and compiling various reports. 5%
1. Demonstrated organizational ability and administrative skills with a high level of attention to detail.
2. Well-developed written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, tact and diplomacy.
3. Flexibility, adaptability and an ability to work both independently and as a productive member of a team with minimal guidance, to manage competing priorities and achieve work goals.
4. Proven ability to provide high level client satisfaction, particularly in a fast paced environment.
5. Proficiency in office software applications, particularly databases.
6. Knowledge of the US, Canadian and Australian Defence Forces.
7. Knowledge of, or experience in, organising VIP visits.